Compensation accounts for up to 70% of an organization’s total operating costs. Yet, companies still face challenges with the fundamentals, including setting their compensation structures (e.g. pay bands) and ensuring that candidates and employees receive fair and unbiased offers and salary reviews.
Many growing organizations just do not have the people, tools, or resources to build and manage an effective compensation program!
Barley is a Compensation Intelligence platform that empowers organizations to make better pay decisions. In addition to our software platform, we are building our Customer Experience team, starting with this role of Compensation Architect. The goal is to provide our customers with both the technology and compensation expertise to bring forward more simplified, rational, and fair pay to their employees.
About the Role
At Barley, we’re looking for our first dedicated in-house compensation expert to join our growing team! As a Compensation Architect, you will support the development of the Barley platform, advise our customers, and develop thought leadership on compensation best practices. This cross-cutting role will allow you to innovate in the compensation space and make an impact on a broad range of organizations.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Customer Advisory & Onboarding
- Support the implementation and onboarding of customers onto the Barley platform as the resident compensation expert
- Review our customers’ current compensation programs and guide them on compensation best practices
- Participate in sales conversations to share compensation expertise to prospective customers (give them a sneak peek as to what to expect when they work with us)
- Develop guides, resources, frameworks, and tools that allow for a scalable onboarding process for our customers
- Evaluate the potential of offering additional consulting services that we can present to our customers and prospects
- Product Guidance & Feedback
- As our in-house compensation expert, you will provide our Engineering, Product, and Design team with guidance and feedback on the Barley platform
- Participate in design reviews, product scoping meetings, and more to inform how we evolve our software solution
- Become a Barley product expert and understand all features and capabilities to provide continuous feedback
- Thought Leadership
- Collaborate with our Marketing team and contribute your compensation knowledge to blog posts, guides, and whitepapers
- Represent Barley through participating in panel discussions, conferences, podcasts, and more
- Stay on top of and research best practices, trends, and the latest compensation approaches
What You’ll Bring To The Role
- Proven experience as a Compensation Professional or a relevant role
- Experience in building, developing, and scaling compensation programs at organizations of different sizes
- Broad knowledge of all elements of compensation from base salary, to bonus/commission plans, and equity-based compensation
- Deep understanding of compensation benchmarking and salary survey approaches (experience with various benchmarking providers such as Option Impact, AON Radford, Mercer, etc.)
- Excellent communication, consulting, interpersonal, and collaborative skills
- Outstanding analytical and Excel/spreadsheet skills (you’ve lost count of the number of compensation spreadsheets you’ve built!)
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Experience conducting or participating in pay equity analysis (cohort based and regression analysis) and compliance with relevant legislation
- In-depth understanding of various HRIS software solutions (e.g. BambooHR, Workday)
- Having a blend of both in-house compensation and advisory/consulting experience is a huge plus
- Past experience working in a technology / software company is a plus
- Past experience with using Compensation Management Software is a plus
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) is a plus
Why You’ll Love Working at Barley!
- As an early member of the Barley team, you’ll play a key role in setting the stage for future employees
- You’ll help push forward an important mission of driving more rational and equitable pay
- You’ll be part of a company that prioritizes diversity and inclusivity on all gender expressions, sexual orientations, religions, races, and physical abilities
- Barley is a venture-backed company in its early stages, the growth opportunities are endless!
- Barley is a remote-first company with two key hiring hubs, Toronto and Vancouver, providing you the flexibility that allows you to be your most productive self
- Even as a remote company, we plan to have fun company-sponsored events and off sites (when it’s safe to do so)
- You’ll have a piece of the pie - every Barley employee participates in our stock option plan
- Generous vacation policy and full health and benefits coverage that kick in on your first day!
Apply online at Barley