Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an immediate opening for a Total Rewards Specialist with pension and benefits experience to join the Human Resources team in Toronto.
Reporting to the Manager, Total Rewards, this role is part of a small team that supports the delivery of employee compensation, pension and benefit plan arrangements for the Firm, both in Canada and internationally. Blakes offers a unique opportunity for rewards specialists to work in a collaborative, diverse professional services firm that is committed to providing exceptional service to our employees and partners, and continuous improvement of our rewards programs.
- Lead Pension and Benefits Program management for the Firm, including plan design and analysis, ensuring the Firm’s plans remain competitive and compliant
- Provide consultative services to management, employees and HR on many diverse benefit requests, including interpretation of benefit plans/policies and communication of provincial and federal regulations
- Oversee and ensure effective administration of Pension, Benefit and Wellness Plans for the Firm, including timely and accurate reconciliation and remittance of required payments, assistance to plan members in addressing any questions and concerns, ongoing monitoring of plan utilization and performance, and budgeting for the annual renewal
- In partnership with the Manager, Total Rewards and HR Systems, design and deliver employee communications, surveys and information sessions with a view to improving education and engagement on Total Rewards programs
- Manage all day-to-day vendor interactions, including resolving issues and continuously improving the plan member experience and the effectiveness of plan administration
- Participate in market networking activities and market research to stay abreast of developments in pensions and benefits and, more broadly, total rewards
- Work collaboratively as part of the broader Human Resources team, ensuring common priorities and projects are delivered
- Work closely with Human Resources, Payroll and Finance in all offices across the Firm and with all employees in matters relating to total rewards
- Outside the Firm, work with, and maintain an excellent relationship with, the various providers to ensure seamless day-to-day operations of total rewards plans and systems
Education and Experience:
- Diploma or degree required; CEBS and/or CCP designation (or working towards) preferred
- Minimum of three to five years of professional work experience; previous experience in compensation and benefits administration
Skills and Abilities:
- Impeccable organizational skills, time management and ability to multitask
- Strong financial analysis and commercial acumen relative to employee benefits and pensions
- Ability to think critically, to strategically and creatively problem solve and to effectively communicate possible solutions; proactively think of possible improvements to programs/processes/initiatives at the Firm
- Sound judgment and decision-making abilities that can be relied on by all levels of management
- Strong relationship-building skills within the department, across departments and outside the Firm
- Excellent communication skills and customer-service attitude
- Positive, professional disposition and flexibility to handle regular interruptions and unexpected changes to workflow
- Demonstrate tact and respect for confidential material
- Team player who is willing to assist peers as needed
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, specifically Excel and Word
- Experience with HR systems, including reporting, data input and data management
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your application along with a cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities and in respect of other protected grounds during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.